“K” LINE Group Environmental Policy
The “K” LINE Group is aware that our business activities can impact on the global environment, and we, therefore, set forth our strong determination (and commitment) in our environmental policy in order to minimize the impact of our business activities on the global environment. In order that we successfully promote our environmental activities in accordance with the environmental policy, the Sustainability Management Promotion Committee led by the President & CEO, with two sub-committees, the Sustainability Sub-Committee and Environmental Sub-Committee, discusses and develops a policy for promoting the Sustainability activities of the entire “K” LINE Group. The Environmental Sub-Committee is to meet twice a year and at these meetings, top management, environmental managers, assistant environmental managers and sub assistant environmental managers of each division of the company gather to prepare basic plans and set targets on environmental matters for the “K” LINE Group, monitor progress towards these targets, evaluate the results and reconfirm or review the targets.
Furthermore, all group companies gather in order that the entire staff working for the “K” LINE Group becomes one and promotes environmental activities, and we hold a Group Environmental Conference every year as the place for sharing current awareness of environmental issues as well as discussing them.
【“K” LINE Group Environmental Policy】
The “K” LINE Group is aware and recognizes that addressing environmental concerns is an issue shared by all mankind. Therefore, the “K” LINE Group is taking proactive measures as an essential condition for its existence and for conducting a business enterprise, striving to reduce the environmental impact of its business activities, and seeking to contribute to the development of a sustainable society.
- We are setting objectives and targets for environmental preservation and making improvements on an ongoing basis to reduce the impact on the environment from our business activities. Furthermore, we are complying with all environmental treaties, laws and regulations as well as policies and voluntary standards to which the “K” LINE Group has consented.
- We are striving to protect the global and marine environment through fleet-wide implementation of safe operation practices and are establishing the organizations and structures necessary for such implementation.
- We are promoting research, development and introduction of ship facilities and equipment to improve ship energy efficiency and operating efficiency, which results in reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and the prevention of atmospheric pollution.
- In consideration of biodiversity, we are maintaining an awareness of the impact that the transport of ballast water and living organisms that attach to ship hulls have on ecosystems and working to protect those ecosystems.
- We are contributing to establish a recycle-based society by promoting the 3Rs (reduce, reuse and recycle) and promoting the effective re-use of resources, including ship recycling.
- The entire “K” LINE Group is and will continue to support and participate in social contribution activities intended to protect the environment.
- We are conducting education and training programs to elevate awareness and understanding of environmental preservation issues among each member of the entire “K” LINE Group.
Revised in August 2012
“K” LINE Environmental Vision 2050 "Blue Seas For the Future"
We formulated the “K” Line Environmental Vision 2050 in March 2015, we sets forth specific milestones to reach by 2019, the 100th anniversary of our founding, and we have achieved many of them.
However, the dramatic changes in the environment around the world have made it necessary to reassess some of our goals for 2050 and to set new milestone markers for 2030.
Today, tomorrow, to 2050 and beyond, we will continue our voyage of supporting sustaining and flourishing growth for society and “K” LINE.
Environmental Management System
Establishment of Environmental Management System (EMS)
We are using EMS for environmental preservation
We have established an EMS based on ISO 14001(*1) and operate it to make constant improvements by identifying environmental impacts and minimizing them. In February 2002, we obtained certification for our EMS from a third-party organization and started its operation. Since then, we have been striving to enhance our environmental activities by confirming through reviews conducted annually and at the time of renewals to ensure that our EMS complies with the ISO 14001(*1) standard, is conducted in line with the PDCA cycle (*2), and is improved and corrected accordingly.
*1 ISO 14001
ISO 14001 is an international EMS standard set by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Requirements for the EMS are stipulated in ISO 14001.
*2 PDCA Cycle
Processes are separated into 4 steps: Plan, Do, Check and Act. Following this cycle is one management method to continuously improve business activities.
Environmental Certification Acquisition State
Group companies that have acquired ISO14001 certification account for around 79% of our group-wide net sales.
DRIVE GREEN NETWORK
The “K” LINE Group is united in efforts to protect the environment
Guided by “K” LINE Environmental Vision 2050, a set of long-term environmental management vision, we are building and operating DRIVE GREEN NETWORK (DGN), a framework to promote environmental management for the entire Group.
We are using DGN to centrally control our environmental management initiatives (such as setting environmental policies and targets and working to achieve them) through internal audits and the like. We aim to continuously pursue environmental protection activities by actively using the PDCA cycle while ensuring environmental compliance across the entire Group.
The name “DRIVE GREEN NETWORK” reflects our desire of inheriting the spirit put into the construction of the DRIVE GREEN HIGHWAY, our environmentally-friendly next-generation flagship completed in 2016 under the concept of “getting one step ahead for the future”.